Wendy Simmons, "My Holiday In North Korea"


Here's my conversation with Wendy Simmons, author of "My Holiday In North Korea: The Funniest/Worst Place On Earth." It's the true story of her ten-day trip to that country, where she was exposed to a society that's closed off from the rest of the world entirely. I asked her why she went, how regular people there treated her, and whether she was worried about being thrown in jail as a spy. She also explained what the hotels and restaurants are like, what's on TV and radio, and how there's no internet, electricity, running water, or even toilet paper in most of the country.

It's a remarkable story that made me face-palm several times, especially when the North Koreans arranged a "professional" soccer game on a Monday morning and took her to a Thursday afternoon wedding, where she photographed the unhappiest bride and groom I've ever seen. We also talked about what it was like being in Pyongyang when word of the Seth Rogen/James Franco movie "The Interview" made the news.

Listen, then click here to subscribe to these podcasts via iTunes!
Previously on Harris Online...

Labels: