Siri Is Not Samantha


Since seeing the movie "Her," my daughter has been asking Siri a bunch of questions about Samantha, the movie's artificial intelligence character voiced by Scarlett Johannsen, who interacts with Joaquin Phoenix. Kudos to the engineers at Apple who came up with some clever responses, like these:

Q: Are you her?
A: Is that you, Joaquin?

Q: Are you Samantha?
A: No, she is a fictional construct, whereas I am a virtual entity. But we can still be friends.

Q: Are you her?
A: No, I am me, and she is her.

Q: Are you her?
A: I'm afraid not. But she could never know you better than I do.

Q: Are you her?
A: No, but some of my best friends are fictional.

Q: Are you her?
A: No, her portrayal of an artificial agent is beyond artificial.

Q: Do you know Samantha?
A: No, but I'm hoping to do lunch with her soon.

Previously on Harris Online...