Superman's History


With "Man Of Steel" opening*, I invited Superman historian Larry Tye to join me on America Weekend to talk about how the superhero's story began -- not his fictional start coming to Earth from Krypton, but his origin in the mind of a young Jewish boy named Jerry Seigel. I asked Tye if Superman's creator shared in the financial success of the character over the last 75 years, why Clark Kent's glasses were such an effective disguise, whether the actors who have played him ever escaped the typecasting, and much more.

Listen, then click here to subscribe to these podcasts via iTunes!

You can read more of this history in Larry Tye's book, "Superman: The High-Flying History of America's Most Enduring Hero."

*Although it did huge box office numbers this weekend, I hated "Man Of Steel." To hear why, listen to my conversation with movie reviewer Joe Hipperson.

Labels: