Been There, Done That

Much is being made of the expected lower attendance for Obama's second inauguration. While 1.8 million people showed up to see him take the (botched) oath of office in 2009, only 800,000 are expected for his reprise next month.

My simple explanation: last time was a historic event -- the inauguration of America's first black president, a very big deal. This time it's all about a guy getting to keep his job. In that vein, I don't understand why we have to go through all the pomp and circumstance when any president (or governor) is re-elected.

Has your boss ever done that for you? "Jenkins, we've decided to let you work here for another few years, so we're throwing a big party for you in the hotel ballroom next door tomorrow night." Highly unlikely. I've had quite a few employment contracts in my radio career, and while the boss may have taken me out to a congratulatory dinner after I signed on originally, whenever I renewed one at the same radio station, no one called the caterers to order even a single cocktail frank.

Labels: