Dead Zone

A few years ago, if you traveled away from home and used your cell phone, you had to pay roaming fees. Your call would go through cell towers of a company other than your provider, and you'd have to pay them for that privilege. Still, I never had a problem placing or receiving a call in those days.

So why do I have reception problems now? As an iPhone user, I don't pay roaming charges, I may be stuck with AT&T's network, but when I'm outside it, why doesn't my call go through another carrier's tower? I know that AT&T and Verizon are constantly fighting an advertising battle over whose network has the most coverage, but it's not like I'm placing these calls from the middle of nowhere. Why should I have a problem getting a call through from anywhere in a major metropolitan area?

Anyone know?