District 9 From Outer Space


I'm just back from seeing the best sci-fi movie in years, "District 9," and have to rave about it.

Not everyone in the theater loved it. In fact, a few people walked out, moaning that the movie wasn't what they expected. Let's see -- an original story, cleverly told, in a place we've rarely seen on screen (Johannesburg, South Africa, giving it a nice apartheid allegory), with a hero you're not sure you should root for, greedy political and paramilitary villains, and great special effects. If that's not what you want from a sci-fi movie, you've gotten too used to the pablum that Hollywood usually spits out.

So, what should you expect from "District 9"?

If I told you it was about aliens who come to earth, hover their mothership over a major city, then get involved in a battle with the local forces before a final attempt to get home, you'd think it sounded like a dozen other humans-vs. aliens films. It's more than that.

If I told you it was about a group that lives in shacks in a militarized slum zone where poverty and crime wreak havoc among the underclass, you'd think it sounded like a thriller tinged with political commentary. It's more than that, too.

If I told you it was the documentary-like saga of an office bureaucrat promoted to unlikely leader who finds himself in a biological battle for power, weaponry, and -- let me stop myself right there, because I don't want to tell you too much instead of just urging you to experience "District 9" yourself.

True, the cast includes no one you've seen before, and there are a couple of scenes that are so gross I had to turn my head away for a few seconds and would certainly keep me from allowing my 15-year-old daughter to see the movie, but those small points are not enough to keep me from recommending it to you. In a world where originality is scarce, where every comic book character becomes a worn-out franchise, where every action movie is over-hyped into an event, "District 9" stands apart.

My only request for the creative team behind the movie is that they not let themselves be talked into making "District 10."

Labels: