Rocky Sickmann, Iran Hostage

With so much interest in Ben Affleck's terrific movie, "Argo," about a covert operation to get six Americans out of Iran during the 1979 hostage crisis, I dug into my archives to find an interview I did in 2004 with Rocky Sickmann, who was was a 22-year-old Marine guard at the US Embassy in Teheran, Iran. On November 4, 1979, he and 51 other Americans were taken hostage by supporters of Ayatollah Khomeini, and held for 444 days.

A quarter-century later, I invited Rocky onto my show to talk about how the whole thing started, explain how the US missed an important opportunity to fight the beginnings of the war on terrorism, and reveal what life was like as a hostage. This is a compelling and honest insider's look at one of the darkest times in recent US history.

Listen, then click here to subscribe to these podcasts via iTunes!

Labels: ,